Google+

Friday 13 April 2012

L Is For Losing Interest

Don't worry I'm not losing interest in the A To Z Challenge... it's nothing like that.

I watch a lot of TV... probably too much... but sometimes I find myself losing interest with certain series.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with said series, if you want to watch it then you've clearly got a longer attention span than me.

It seemed to start about three years ago with the UK soap Hollyoaks. I used to be an avid viewer... but I suddenly found myself thinking of watching Hollyoaks as a chore. Which surely TV shouldn't be about... unless you are a TV critic... but then you are probably getting paid... or exposure... or something.

Anyway we're not supposed to be discussing TV critics so back to me.

So I stopped watching Hollyoaks (although I did have to look it up when I saw that Warren was mysteriously back from the dead).

Warren! - source
Then I stopped watching House round about the end of season 5... I don't know why. I missed a couple of episodes and then that was that. Although again I had to look it up, when I heard that House was in prison.

source
Then I completely lost interest in Desperate Housewives half way through the final series - and I've seen nor heard anything that has inspired me to look it up.

And now I'm on the very edge of losing interest in Dexter and CSI:NY... although I'm not 100% sure about Dexter. I can't get the channel that Dexter is shown on in the UK... so I usually rent it when it comes out on DVD. So I might give it another chance and rent the first disc of season 5... we'll have to see.

I didn't used to be like this - I made it through all seven series of Buffy The Vampire Slayer... even though the last series wasn't brilliant.

In other news I am still loving New Girl, Mad Men, The Mentalist, Once Upon A Time... the list goes on!

But the question is how long will I love them before my attention is taken elsewhere?

5 comments:

jabblog said...

I think if you miss a couple of episodes and don't feel the urge to catch up with them then the series has had its day for you. Maybe it's the writing or the acting or the plot line or a combination of all three . . .

liz young said...

I think we lose interest because the script writers have lost the plot! House is a classic case of a good idea taken beyond credibility. "Lost" was another - good to start with and then just plain silly.

Sarah Allen said...

I know what you mean. I lost on House too because Cuddy left. What's House without the romantic pining?

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Lynn Proctor said...

that exact same thing has been happening to me--as a matter of fact, i am not even hardly doing my fishworld any longer!

Adena (aka cre82learn) said...

Me too!! Was just talking to my son about this today. I never watched the last season of Lost, stopped watching Heroes after the first season, after years, no longer watch any CSI's, also stopped House. And I LOVED all those shoes!! I do better waiting until the whole season is on CD or Netflix so I don't have to bother with commercials or a wait between episodes.