Google+

Monday 27 June 2011

Lovin' The Language Blogfest

Today we have the Lovin' The Language Blogfest hosted by Jolene.




And all you have to do is:

"Pick any five lines or any five SHORT excerpts from one of your WIPs. If you're feeling shy, and don't want to share from your own work, share from something you LOVE."


Now I am one of those shy people... and my WIP is currently a complete mess. So even if I wasn't one of those shy people I probably couldn't have come up with anything decent.

But as soon as I knew I'd be using something else I knew exactly which book to go for... and which scene. It is a book that I only read recently but it immediately became one of my favourite books (although I can't for the life of me tell you why). And it is a scene that stuck with me, even after I'd finished the book and moved on to something entirely different. Five lines was actually perfect for this particular scene.

For those of you who haven't read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey let me set the scene a little.

McMurphy is a criminal who gets himself transferred to a mental institute for what he thinks will be an easy stay. He soon clashes with the tyrannical Nurse Ratched who rules the ward, sitting behind her spotless glass window only leaving for meetings or to dish out discipline. McMurphy attempts to break her psychologically.


The glass came apart like water splashing, and the nurse threw her hands to her ears. He got one of the cartons of cigarettes with his name on it and took out a pack, then put it back and turned to where the Big Nurse was sitting like a chalk statue and very tenderly went to brushing the slivers of glass off her hat and shoulders.
"I'm sure sorry, ma'am," he said. "Gawd but I am. That window glass was so spick and span I com-pletely forgot it was there."


If you haven't read it you really should... if you like that sort of book of course. If you don't well... don't read it - simple as!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I read that book in HS. I loved it then. You've inspired me to take another look at it as an adult.

Thanks,
Lucy

Teralyn Rose Pilgrim said...

I can't believe I haven't read this yet! I've wanted to read it ever since I was a teenager, but for some reason never got around to it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chronicles of Illusions said...

i always loved the film - but I see I need to read the book as well. :)

Summer Ross said...

That was terrific. I have not read the book yet. Thank you for sharing!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Thanks for sharing it sounds a good book.

Yvonne.

Vicki Rocho said...

I own the book, but I haven't read it yet. Shhhh, don't tell anyone!

Trisha said...

I haven't read it, but it's on my TBR list!!

Anonymous said...

This book is a GREAT read. I usually won't read a book more than once, but I made an exception with this one.

Great choice!

Brianna said...

Lovin' the great example of dialect here! Thanks for sharing!