Google+

Saturday 23 April 2011

T is For... Traffic

This is an anecdote that I decided to save for this blogfest - Traffic.

It was a couple of months ago that this happened now.

I always take the bus to work - I usually walk it home but in order to walk to work I would have to get up earlier... and I like my sleep too much for that.

Now the local council in their infinite wisdom had decided to start roadworks all over the place (I would have thought that it would have been better to focus on one lot of roadworks at once - more men, get it done faster. But what do I know?).

Anyway because of this, traffic was likely to build up at that time in the morning, worse than it usually does.

On this occasion it got worse in that a wall on a nearby building site had collapsed and so the main road next to it had to be closed (the town centre was gridlocked for most of the day after this).

So the bus had to take a different route to normal - and when we, the passengers, realised this we became like rats off a sinking ship.

A small group of us approached the driver and asked if we could get off there. He let us.

And not a moment too soon. Had the traffic not have halted the bus and we had gone a couple of feet further forward we wouldn't have been able to get off. The pavement would have ended and the railings would have started and it would not have been safe for the driver to let us off.

And then we would have spent an eternity stuck in traffic until we got to the bus station.

I was about ten minutes late for work due to having to walk the last bit, however I would have been a lot later had I stayed on the bus.

2 comments:

Bob Sanchez said...

Happy Easter! I'm stopping by on the A-Z Challenge.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Talk about good timing!

Coming here from the A-Z challenge.

Duncan In Kuantan