Google+

Saturday 2 April 2011

B is For... Bad Language

*WARNING! THIS IS A RANDOM POST! I REPEAT: THIS IS A RANDOM POST!*

Well, long time no post! Oh, no wait, it was only yesterday. And I'm back already!

Well I was thinking about what to post for 'B' Day and nothing seemed to grab me until I finally thought "What the f**k can I post about for 'B'?"

Bad language - now on my blog I always (as far as I know) blank out part of of any bad language I feel I need to use (not all my random quotes are clean!) like above.

Mainly I use asterisks - t*h*e*s*e***t*h*i*n*g*s - hopefully I haven't just made that impossible to read.

But we can also use most of the symbols above the numbers and a few from over by the 'enter' button.

!£$%&@#~?+

I wasn't swearing then I was just demonstrating. In real life I swear occasionally for a number of reasons:
  1. if I have just hurt myself
  2. if I have just made an error 
  3. if something has irritated me
I don't censor myself with asterisks or percentage signs - however if I am in certain company where I would not swear e.g. at work, in front of children... in front of my parents (it just feels wrong to use bad language in front of my mum and dad - no matter how old I am. In fact my parents feel the same way about swearing in front of their parents!).

So on rare occasions when I realise what is about to come out of my mouth is going to be bad... sometimes very bad... I end up turning it in to something else - "Oh fudge!", "Sugar!"

But I don't use those versions very often... you'd only get the p**s taken out of you!

So there we are, I've resorted to crude language already and we are only on the second day - tomorrow is Sunday so no post. But hopefully Monday will bring a little more sophistication - in fact I know it will.

See you soon!

13 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I think we're all capable of using bad language incertain cicumstances. enjoyed the read.

Yvonne.

Traci Marie Wolf said...

I go through waves of cussing. Sometimes the F word is too scandalous for me and other times I will use it all the time. I'm trying to stop, so crap has become my go to word. I'm here from LBS by the way, good luck with the alphabet. ;-)

Art Chick said...

I swear that I swear, but not all the time. And when I use a bit of bad language in a blog post I do try, most of the time, to censor myself a bit. But sometimes, IMO, the emphasis is lost, and when the emphasis is lost, sometimes the funny is lost too. Not always. Just sometimes. Anyway, very much enjoyed your post. Visiting from Lady Bloggers.

Anne Prado said...

Haha I rarely ever cuss out loud, but in my mind, more than I'd like to admit. And agree with previous comment - crap is a wonderful alternative! (well, not wonderful, but definitely could be worse :). Visiting from the LBS!

Allison said...

I cuss in front of my parents every once in awhile, when I'm *really* mad, but it still feels strange! I rarely censor myself like you mentioned though, I've found I usually just say "crap" or even "damn" because they seem less vulgar than others...

My word verification is "prurson," which is probably the way you'd say "person" while eating a sour candy...

Kimberly Gauthier, Dog Nutrition Blogger for Keep the Tail Wagging said...

Visiting from the Tea Party. What a great challenge. I'd love to say that I rarely swear, but there are those days or those people who inspired the clever phrase to pop out of my mouth.

LOL

Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

I still dont swear in front of my parents and I'm in my 30's - but my brother regularly does. I once said I had a bloody knee - as in it was bleeding - and I got such a telling off for that, I dread to think what they would say if I actually said F**k or other such bad words!
Nice to see a fellow TBer trying to complete the challenge - good luck :)

Debbie said...

I enjoy cheeky posts. Following from LBS.
Debbie from nofiltermom.blogspot.com

Tori Cooper said...

From Lady Bloggers & A to Z Challenge... I have to say that your post was quite interesting, personally I don't cuss typical cuss words (I usually use substitutes like Jimeny Cracket or Crimeny or snaps)... I have no idea where I came up with these words but they just naturally come out & I do it for the same reasons. Every once in a while I surprise myself but I have to be in a really bad situation (an almost seemingly hopeless situation). Lol! Anyhow, good checking your site... Tori @www.journeycalledlife1.com

Anonymous said...

Heheheheh.
Some people think cussing is crude or vulgar; I think it is therapeutic, even mandatory, in some cases. I'm convinced it's going to help me live longer, because it allows me to release stress. Besides, in the state where I live, cussing is a form of punctuation. Hell takes the place of a comma, sh** becomes an exclamation point. etc.
I cussed a lot more as a teenager than I do now though.
I found you through the A to Z challenge, and I'm happy to be following your blog.

Unknown said...

I think too much has been made of cussing. Of course cussing as if one had turrets syndrome might be bad, or cussing in a formal setting when something minor has gone amiss could be over done and a show of bad temperament, but why censor yourself if it is what you feel. Some folks are just too prim... just my thought.

Sig

Sylvia said...

my brother used to be a foul mouthed teen. My mom hated it, and tried to get him to say a stupid word in stead of cursing. On day he broke a small bone in his foot and he began to shout out a curse in pain, then he realized mom was there and changed the curse mid way, making it goddateacup :) (don't remember the word exactly but like the word teacup)

It's still a running gag in the family, those in stead of cursing words

Chippy said...

ttofee - Hi ttofee, fellow TBer! :)

Thank you to everyone for commenting!