Google+

Friday 8 April 2011

G is For... Groucho Marx

I may have mentioned this before but I am a big Marx Brothers fan - particularly Groucho, his character names and his assortment of insults that just roll off his tongue.

So I thought that for the letter 'G' I would present you with some of my favourite Groucho Marx film quotes.

Enjoy!



Is it true that you are getting a divorce as soon as your husband regains his eyesight?

Groucho, Monkey Business (1931)


*Talking to Tony (Chico) who is in disguise*  
Don't talk so loud your moustache will fall off.

Dr Hugo Z. Hackenbush, A Day At The Races (1937)


*After Tomasso (Harpo), who is in disguise, has been asked to make a speech*  
How much will you give me to set fire to your beard?

Otis B. Driftwood, A Night At The Opera (1935)


Rufus T. Firefly: Not that I care, but where is your husband?

Mrs Teasdale: Why, he's dead.

Rufus T. Firefly: I bet he's just using that as an excuse.

Mrs Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.

Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.

Mrs Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.

Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

Duck Soup (1933)

 
Martha Phelps: Tell me, Wolfie dear, will we have a beautiful home?

Wolf J. Flywheel: Of course. You're not planning on moving are you?

The Big Store (1941)

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Nice to meet you through the A-Z challenge :) Hope to see you around!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Ha! a "G from the past" but never to be forgotten. wonderful post.

Yvonne.

Ju Dimello said...

LOL! Your post brought a laugh out of me today... Thanks for great dialogues ;)

Following you from A-Z challenge!

Along These Lines ... said...

"Oh, I see, then it was murder" ... always been one of my favorite Groucho lines. Good list. Did you know his granddaughter is an actress?

Anonymous said...

LOL - especially liked the first quote!