Google+

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Random Thought #34 - Don't Call It That!

So I'm surfing the net (very retro I know) and I come across a book. A book I've never heard of by an author I'm not aware of.

I'm intrigued by it. The blurb sounds interesting. The cover looks great (Try and tell me that you've never judged a book by it's cover).

I start to look up reviews of it, just to see if the blurb is all it's cracked up to be. And then it happens. Something that ruins the whole thing for me.

Someone describes it as "young adult".

I don't know what it is but that phrase "young adult" immediately puts me off a book. I'm sure some of these books that I end up not reading would be very good. I'm sure that some of the books I own are YA; they just weren't advertised that way. The YA label makes me think... I don't know what it makes me think.

It just puts me off reading the book that's all.

Weird, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to the "young adult" label, but when I gave the books a chance, I found a new genre to love. This isn't your "after-school special" young-adult literature of the 70's and 80's! Today's YA books can boast stronger, more believable characters, killer plot twists, and nonstop action. I can't speak for every novel in the genre, but that's been my overall experience.
You're right though, I still HATE that label!

Peggy Eddleman said...

That's funny-- I hear YA, and I think "Ooo! Right up my alley!" :) Seriously, though, YA has some incredible books. REALLY incredible.